The aim of this policy is to communicate the commitment of the Directors to the promotion of equality of opportunity in BakerWilcox Limited and our intention to reduce our impact on the environment.
Introduction and aim
BakerWilcox Limited is a full service, multi-disciplinary graphic design business, operating from a site in Tunbridge Wells, Kent and Soho, London. Our main products are digital files. We recognise that our operations result in a limited amount of emissions to air and include the generation of waste. It is our aim to comply with legislation and other requirements, continue to reduce the environmental impacts of our business and operate in an environmentally responsible manner. This policy describes how we will achieve our aim.
This environmental policy applies to all of our operations including management, office services, printing, delivery and procurement. Richard Baker is responsible for ensuring that the policy is implemented. However, all employees have a responsibility in their area to ensure that the aims and objectives of the policy are met.
We will aim to ensure environmental good practice by:
- Encouraging the use of recycled paper and envelopes wherever possible.
- Using electronic means for communication wherever reasonably practicable (e.g. email) and electronic data storage to reduce the need for storage space and thereby make more efficient use of accommodation. We will continue to review our methods of working to incorporate new and more efficient ways of achieving our objectives in this respect.
- Encouraging less use of cars by recommending and where appropriate, cycling and use of public transport and walking.
- Encouraging contractors that we undertake business with to be environmentally aware and including in contracts a need for environmental compliance wherever reasonably practicable.
We will seek to ensure that our paperwork is kept to a minimum and that digital files are used wherever possible. We will also provide a contact telephone number, email details and website information for our customers to use to minimise the need for communications involving paperwork.
We will ensure that electrical appliances such as computers and office lights are switched off when not in use and install sensor devices where reasonably practicable for lighting requirements. We will also use power efficient machinery and switch off any electrical devices that are not currently in use.
For example, we will not leave equipment in stand by mode whenever practical. We will also ensure that the heating of our office space is efficient and does not require the additional use of electric powered heaters to supplement it. To this extent, we will not unnecessarily leave doors and windows open during periods of cold weather.
As electricity usage is our main impact on the environment we have recently taken the steps to fit Solar Panels to the roof of our head office in Tunbridge Wells. The panels now generate more than enough power to run the office, providing a more sustainable service to our clients.
Continue to protect the natural environment
We clearly understand the need to protect our environment and shall take steps to ensure that in all actions the local and global environment is placed first. To this extent we will promote the 5 R’s of waste management namely:
We will review all materials provided within the office to ensure that the following are met wherever possible:
- Ensure that all materials purchased are high quality durable products;
- Not habitually use stationery stores;
- Use recycled materials where they are of an acceptable quality;
- Purchase reusable or refurbished products if available;
We will always seek to reduce our consumption of raw materials by:
- Using only what we need to use
- Reducing paper consumption overall
- Printing on both sides of paper
- Making any corrections on screen
- Using email
- Reusing envelopes where possible
- Clearly stating our non-print message on all outgoing emails.
We will always seek to re-use materials by:
- Choosing re-usable and refillable products
- Re-inking and refilling print cartridges
- Re-using incoming packaging
- Selling/giving away unwanted equipment that can be reused.
We promote the need to use and re-use by:
- Purchasing products that can be recycled.
- Fully utilising the office re-cycling scheme.
Responsible waste disposal
We will manage the disposal of waste in a controlled environment by:
- Making adequate arrangements for confidential disposal of documentation, reports and paperwork
- Ensuring full compliance with duty of care regulations and use registered contractors for waste disposal
- Disposing of difficult waste using specialist disposal companies if required.
Monitoring and auditing
Progress against these objectives will be monitored through regular management meetings.
This environmental policy is available on request. If you wish to obtain a copy please telephone BakerWilcox on 01892 522 740.
Equal opportunity policy
It is our policy to provide equality of opportunity to all, irrespective of:
- marital or civil partnership status
- having or not having dependents
- religious belief or political opinion
- race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins)
- sexual orientation
We are opposed to all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination. All members of the organisation will be treated fairly and will not be discriminated against on any of the above grounds. Decisions on role, selection for office, training or any other benefit will be made objectively, without unlawful discrimination, and based on aptitude and ability.
We recognise that the provision of equal opportunities in all our activities will benefit the organisation. Our equal opportunities policy will help employees to develop their full potential and the talents and resources of the employees will be utilised fully to maximise the effectiveness of the organisation.
BakerWilcox Limited recognises that there is a statutory duty under the NI Act 1998, to implement an equal opportunities policy. This policy applies to applicants for employment, volunteers and members of the group alike.
BakerWilcox Limited is committed to the principles and practice of Equality.
We are committed to:
- promoting equality of opportunity for all persons
- promoting a good and harmonious learning environment in which all men and women are treated with respect and dignity and in which no form of intimidation or harassment is tolerated.
- preventing occurrences of unlawful direct discrimination, indirect discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- complying with our own equal opportunities policy and associated policies
- taking lawful affirmative or positive action, where appropriate
- breaches of our equal opportunities policy will be regarded as misconduct and could lead to termination of membership
Employees who believe that they have suffered any form of discrimination, harassment or victimisation are entitled to raise the matter through the agreed procedures. All complaints of discrimination will be dealt with seriously, promptly and confidentially.
Every effort will be made to ensure that employees who make complaints will not be victimised. Any complaint of victimisation will be dealt with seriously, promptly and confidentially.